Our vision of water
As we begin the 21st century, EUREAU recognizes that more needs to be done to ensure the long term sustainability of Europe's water systems and to fully meet the expectations of all European citizens with respect to their water supply and wastewater services.
In line with this, EUREAU aims for a provision of reliable and high quality water supply and waste water services which:
- Protect public health;
- Fully respect the natural environment;
- Support economic development;
- Socially acceptable.
In order to deliver water and wastewater services for the benefit of all consumers in the EU, EUREAU promotes the following principles:
- EUREAU supports the integration of environmental, economic and social objectives.
- EUREAU believes that the maintenance of public health is paramount and must not be compromised.
- The provision of a reliable, high-quality water service requires intensive capital investment. To achieve this, EUREAU believes policy makers must take a long-term view that provides the necessary investment certainty.
- EUREAU believes that EU water policy must be consistent and integrated across all areas of EU work.
- EUREAU believes that EU-wide policy should allow for Member States to determine how best to implement them according to the wide diversity of water resources, local conditions and management structures across Europe.
- EUREAU believes that working in partnership with stakeholders – EU institutions, national governments, regulators, suppliers, employees and others in society - is the best way to achieve common goals.